Saturday 26 November 2005

Are you drinking 1% 'cause you think you're fat?

I just spent the past hour and a half reading my peers' stories on how they got together, how they got engaged and how they got married. Crazy.

This calendar year started out with Sean and Emily (January) and I believe it is ending with Renee and Tony (tomorrow), with a couple couples (Greg/Suz, Jas/Abby) in between, a couple before and a couple coming after (maybe).

Coming off of that, there are people starting to date up the wazoo. I can't list them all because it's seriously too many to count.

I think it's this age group. People are starting to get serious about settling down. I wonder if God ever planned it this way. That the 20's would be the time when hormones rage, guys starting "getting to know" that special person and girls overanalyze that guy they have their eye on.

Haahaa... I just wondered what the pathophysiology of "falling in love" was. (not to say that it's a disease or has a specific etiology. well...it would be if Paul's description of it as "burning." [1 Cor 7] Burns have a pathophysiology. i think i've been studying for my clinical pharmacy final for too long).

I digress.

God is sovereign. God is a provider. I must be molded to the plan that He has in store, no matter if it's in marriage or in singleness. I was having a conversation with a friend the other day and the topic of contentment came up. I was having another conversation with my roomate and the topic of letting go came up. I think God is trying to teach me something.

Matthew 6:25-34. DO NOT WORRY.

Along the same vein, today a monster came out of me that reminded me why I am in need of so much grace. It usually comes out once a month for a couple days and then goes back into hibernation. It's the worst and it's something in me that I HATE. It's a time when the monster rears it's ugly face that test those around me as well as myself. It starts with a slight obsession. Something consumes my thoughts. Then it is precipitated into action (whatever that action may be) and it takes away from the immediate task that I SHOULD be focusing on. And then the disappointment and frustration come from either unmet expectation or feeling of personal failure. Then comes the emotional outburst usually anger or impatience that lash out like tentacles and sting those around me. Then something brings me back down and I wonder...what happened. This overwhelming sadness befalls my psyche and I pray to God for forgiveness.

This is a monthly (but not only) reminder of how much I need the redemptive sacrifice of Christ.

But why, oh why, if I'm saved that I'm not liberated from the talons of this dreaded beast living inside of me? God, please, slay this monster inside me.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (1 Cor. 12:9-10)

Sufficient. Perfect. Power. Delight. Strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU MORE ROSALYN! :) Yes yes we really need to hang out in December! :)

Anonymous said...

Pathophys? You make love sound like a disease :). You must have missed the recent press on the discovery of a "love molecule".

ROME (Reuters) - Your heartbeat accelerates, you have butterflies in the stomach, you feel euphoric and a bit silly. It's all part of falling passionately in love -- and scientists now tell us the feeling won't last more than a year.

The powerful emotions that bowl over new lovers are triggered by a molecule known as nerve growth factor (NGF), according to Pavia University researchers.

The Italian scientists found far higher levels of NGF in the blood of 58 people who had recently fallen madly in love than in that of a group of singles and people in long-term relationships.

But after a year with the same lover, the quantity of the 'love molecule' in their blood had fallen to the same level as that of the other groups.

The Italian researchers, publishing their study in the journal Psychoneuroendocrinology, said it was not clear how falling in love triggers higher levels of NGF, but the molecule clearly has an important role in the "social chemistry" between people at the start of a relationship.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved. Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:36 AM ET


P.S. "Psychoneuroendocrinology"? talk about a narrow field...