Tuesday 19 February 2002

The Euthyphro Dilemma of Philosophy:
Does God like piety because people are pious, or are people pious because God likes piety?
(this question arose in Plato's Euthyphro in a dialogue...)
Why is that even a dilemma? There are supposedly 2 "horns" of this question. If you take the first one, that means you're putting a limit on God's power and you're implying that there is an ethical order beyond God. If you think the other half of the question, one is limiting man's power.
It's an interesting question to think about but let me share what I believe the answer to the question is.
This question is not a dilemma for me because I believe in God's almighty all-knowing power. So I don't have a real problem with accepting the fact that man's power is limited. Man's power is limited. This statement is what you call a categorical proposition in logic (read Come let us reason by Norman Geisler if you get a chance). An affirmative categorical proposition. So anyway, I believe that God is the source and standard for perfection, morality and ethics.
But why stop there. Why not question piety.
What does piety mean? Well, my favorite website: Dictionary.com says:
"Having or exhibiting religious reverence; earnestly compliant in the observance of religion; devout.
Marked by conspicuous devoutness: a pious and holy observation.
Marked by false devoutness; solemnly hypocritical: a pious fraud.
Professing or exhibiting a strict, traditional sense of virtue and morality; high-minded."
Just because one is pious doesn't mean that one is a Christian, or in other religions, that particular religion. It is the state of mind, the condition of the heart by which we are saved. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God, not as a result of works, that no one whould boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
You can wave a heresy flag or talk to me and rebuke me, but I don't think God really appreciates piety unless it comes with absolute faith and love which I know I sometimes don't have. So... if we think about it.. the pharisees were pious, but Jesus reprimanded (if that is the correct word) time and time again. And they were revered teachers of the Law and major religious leaders of that time.
So I just totally lost my train of thought on this blog...


No comments: