Friday 10 March 2006

Breakaway

So in an attempt for self improvement and to do something new, I decided to perform for an AIDS Benefit (proceeds going towards a hospital and medications for HIV/AIDS in Nigeria) concert last Friday. I decided to sing and play Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway" and managed to convince David to be mr. percussion with the egg (and for moral support).

Why did I do this?
1) It's for a good cause.
2) A bunch of people from fellowship were doing it.
3) I've never done this before in front of so many people that were friends and strangers.
4) Figured this would be a stretching experience.
5) It would improve my guitar skillz.


"I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly..."

I've never been so nervous in my entire life. I totally messed up the chorus a couple times, the 2nd verse, the bridge and the last chorus. I was off key a lot, played the wrong chord (if you're playing from memory and you think you know it well, practice more 'cause when you're on stage, you'll forget it all). But what was so encouraging was all those cheers coming from classmates and friends. I even heard an "I LOVE YOU ROZ!!" (thanks Lena. :D).

It's one of those things that I'm not sure I'll do again, but it was a good experience. Really stretches you, especially if you have a fear of being in front of large groups of people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that does sound a little terrifying. props to you!

Anonymous said...

noice! anything from kelly is good =) i'm sure you sounded awesome ^.^