Monday 3 June 2002

Yosemite.
My first reaction when I woke up when we were driving to the valley was, "Oh my goodness." It was that beautiful. The jaw just kind of dropped. This was the perfect time to go because the Memorial day rush is over and there's still a lot of water coming out of those waterfalls. I first saw Half Dome, and then El Capitan then Yosemite falls, one of the tallest waterfalls in the world, comparable to Angel Falls, THE tallest waterfalls in the world in South America. (Don't ask me how I know this. I know lots of meaningless trivia that takes me nowhere in the world.) It's so pretty. Then we saw Bridal Veil falls. The reason why it's called that is because it's supposed to look like a Bride's veil, hence the name. Yeah, going to Yosemite totally humbled me. Because you're standing in a valley and there are essentially walls of granite thousands of feet high and you feel so little. it's quite amazing. I love it. And about soothing water, there were rivers and meadows with little rivulets, quite relaxing. I've had BAD experiences with boats, but I find bodies of water VERY VERY soothing. On our second full day we drove up to the High Country to Tioga Pass, Tuolome Meadows and some other places. Unfortunately the wild flowers don't bloom until about July so we didn't see too many flowers, but the grass was green and growing. Last time we were at Tuolome Meadows, my sister had a bunch of leeches on her skin. No leeches this time! In fact, it was really cool, there was still snow on the ground, and it wasn't gross dirty snow. There was acutally a guy who busted out his skis. When the sun was low in the sky, we went to Bridal veil falls again and saw the most amazing rainbow. It was totally clear at the base of the waterfall and quite beautiful. We also went to a bridge and took a picture of half dome at sunset. The picture is linked to this page. We stayed in a tent cabin, it's a canvas tent cabin, i don't rightly know how to explain it but it was fun, except for the mosquitoes. I don't know why but i think mosquitoes like my blood. I think it's somehting about my body temperature being higher than the average human. must be why i'm like my miniature schnauzer. her body temperature's pretty high, 'cause she's kind of high strung and jittery and she gets a lot of bites too. Anyway, that's a lot of personal information. On the second full day we hiked up to the top of Vernal falls. It's called the misty trail for a reason. It should be called the rain trial because it seriously felt like it was raining. Not mist rain, like drops of water rain. It was really fun though, but not good for a sick person, though it was fun. My mom made me bundle up 'cause i'm getting over a cold. When we got to the top, man, the Emerald pool is supposed to be this calm pool people can swim in and there's supposed to be solid rock where the river flows in like a slide, but my goodness, it was raging torrents... my dad got a clip of that it's on a cd somewhere. There was so much water. All the waterfalls looked full, not those dinky kiddie waterfalls that look like dripping showers, these were awesome waterfalls. They were jump off and die type of waterfalls. Sorry for the morbid description but that's what they were like. On the last day, my favorite day was when we went to Sentinel Dome. You hike about a mile up to an altitude of about 8,000 feet. it's this dome, it actually looks like a dome with random shaped rocks and a dead tree. But what's so amazing about it is the view. A 360 degree view of all of Yosemite. You can see EVERYTHING from there. I took one of those multiple shot panorama pictures. I'm going to get it printed on photo paper and frame it. The view is just awesome. It was so cool. I stood on a rock put my hands up in the air and just screamed. Absolute exhilaration, let me tell you. I did it for my roomate, Rocio who always wanted to do that but never got a chance. My dad actually took a picture of it. When you're up there, you meet with the God of Wonders. In everything you see His creation unpolluted and you realize what it meant when He proclaimed it Good. You feel the wind, your heart is pounding, there's this fear of God in you knowing that this can be your death or your life. When men don't worship the Almighty, the Rocks cry out and proclaim His glory and it's totally true.
Soli Deo Gloria. :)

No comments: