Friday 7 June 2002

I came online to blog, but forgot for a while and ended up playing minesweeper for about 5 min. How sad. That is a stupid game.
Anyway...
Today, while wandering around Torrance I decided to drive by the old Bread of Life Church facilities. Expecting the familiar Sanctuary and the increasingly steep driveway and the white sliding, child-proof gate, I met with a large gaping hole in the skyline instead. I can't believe a church that I got baptized in, the church that I grew up in is now torn down to make way for some duplexes that have no grass or yards. I inched by what was my second home on 22525 Kent street and thought about all the memories that had been torn down with the church building. I remember practicing guitar lazy sunday afternoons and friday nights before fellowship from 8th grade all the way to august of last year. Out of tune and out of sync, I didn't care, but I loved to worship and loved to play. I remember that dome made of steel rods arranged in triangles. After sunday school every sunday we'd all play in the sandbox right behind the old fellowship hall, until we outgrew the jungle gym that gave us splinters. I remember eating lunch in the stairwell in the back of the Glory hall making sketches of pretty asian girls or talking about who's cute at church. Haahaa I remember getting mad at Enoch because he violated my "space" under the bridge connecting the old building and the glory hall. I don't exactly know why though... i remember him offering me a piece of gum or something. I remember standing on that bridge with friends...staring out to the mormon temple next door and "pondering the meaning of life." or people watching as everyone filed out of the sanctuary into the courtyard. I remember going into the choir room and putting on those little white gowns with the light blue satin collars for children's choir. Haahaa, I had the loudest (not necessarily the most in tune) voice...and between singing in the Cantonese and Mandarin services we'd all trek down 226th. St. to 7/11 to get snacks. I remember bringing my sleeping back and pillow and bags and piling it on everyone else's either in the courtyard or outside of the glory hall the sunday before YSC and forming a line packing the bus and waving at everyone as we pulled out of the parking lot. This is a place where the Spirit's presence was felt, where Jesus was the reigning King and where God was glorified. I know the building has no significance but when 2 or more are gathered in His name, he will be there, also. In these buildings, it started out with just a couple, then it grew to 1 congregation and then to 2, then 3 where now it's about 700 strong and growing. It's amazing what those walls held. Use and Abuse, yes, but more importantly it Housed God's children. Those who love to worship Him and those who just love Him with all their soul, mind and strength. I'm going to miss this home and it will be different coming home from now on, but not dwelling in the past... God has a LOT in store for this church in the next 35 years of its existence. :)

No comments: