Tuesday 6 December 2005

Promises from the Beginning of the Quarter I

So I made a number of promises (commitments to myself) at the beginning of the quarter:
1) Find a fellowship
2) Find a church
3) No boys until May
4) No shopping until May
5) Maintain the same mindset I did when I was overseas

I've found a fellowship and you can read about it in the archive (forgot the date, but [shameless plug] feel free to peruse.)

Finding A Church


There were a number of recommendations made before I even came to San Francisco which included Sunset Church, Great Exchange Covenant Church (GRX Acts II), and CityChurch San Francisco. Here are my initial reflections of each church

Sunset: It's so much like Bread of Life. Predominantly Chinese, relatively contemporary, very conservative, the congregation is very young. The teaching is solid. Pastor Jeff Louie did his doctorate on Revelation and you can totally tell he loves that subject. Tracy a fellow farm student goes there as well as some other people.

GRX ActsII: The community is so strong. I feel as though I can bring my friends here and it will be a very safe place to share with them what I believe. The worship is amazing, yeah, amazing. I feel as though I can worship uninhibited. The messages are really encouraging. Everytime I go, I'm encouraged of a lesson that I've learned in the past and convicted to further live out that lesson.

CityChurch: Solid, Solid teaching. Totally solid. A lot like the church my sister goes to in Boston. I really really appreciate the quotes included at the beginning of the service packet. They're insightful and cause me to think about the topic of the sermon by bringing a different perspective other than the pastor (who happens to be really solid, but I said that already). I also like the fact that throughout the service, every week, the Gospel is somehow incorporated.

At this point, all 3 churches are totally money. I just need to pick one, settle and start learning, serving and communing.

Which one to pick? I promised everyone that I would decide by the end of the quarter and here I am at the end of the quarter (a couple days past due). I told myself to sit down and to really think about what role the Church plays in my spiritual development. Here are some things:
1) Source of feeding.
2) A place to serve
3) My circle of friends (i.e. community)
4) Meeting a potential spouse. (I know this one isn't as deep as the other ones, but, to be honest, it was actually pretty important. Feel free to wave a red flag if you deem fit).
Here's the Biblical Role of a Church
1) For prayer and support of missionaries (Acts 14:23)
2) To recruit, raise up and train those who will go and make disciples (Acts... like all of it)
3) A place to use our spiritual gifts to build up the Body. (1 Cor. 14)
4) The wisdom of God be made known (Eph 3:10)
5) To serve those in real need. (1 Tim 5)

Actually, all 3 churches possess these qualities.... which I had already established, sorta. So it just comes down to... personal preference. So I'm officially deciding on

::drum roll::

City Church

Why? I've been raised going to a Chinese American church. In college I went to a Chinese American church. I think this time around, I'd like a little diversity. Bring in more perspective and worship with brothers and sisters who are NOT like me and who do NOT have the same upbringing. Perhaps they can encourage me with my faith and I can encourage them. Also, I have a sunday buddy going to City Church.

So there you have it. I'm excited to see what ministry the Lord wants me to serve. :)

3 comments:

Pauline said...

so, farmacist, what about the other promises you made to yourself @ the beginning of the qtr? ha ha

Anonymous said...

picking a church with potential spouses can be effective. i chose for the opposite reason - part of the reason why i picked sfc for a fellowship was so i would stay out of trouble boy-wise since i was dating mak. it worked. haha. =D

Anonymous said...

hey, "stay out of trouble boy-wise" ??

what's that supposed to imply about sfc boys??

-jeff