Tuesday 27 December 2005

Merry Christmas?


This is me 16 years ago if I was right handed and wearing metal rim glasses. This is Joy, my middle little cousin. It didn't feel like Christmas this year. Christmas Eve didn't include chestnuts roasting on an open fire, we didn't have a blanket of fresh snow on Christmas morning and there weren't throngs of children in their pajamas rushing down the stairs to see what Santa left them under the tree. Instead, Christmas this year wasn't about presents, or the tree, lights or celebrations. This Christmas was uneventful. The advantage is that I don't have to worry about gaining that holiday weight because I ate like I would any other day. Christmas eve was a normal Saturday, like any other Saturday where my parents were helping out at church with a potluck and i'm at home studying. Christmas day was like any other Sunday where I went to Church [habitually late] chatted with friends I grew up with and went home to take a nap. This Christmas was different because it was the first time our immediate family wasn't together in the same place. I remember when my sister and I were in high school, we'd buy a fresh tree from the West High Entertainment Unit tree lot, decorate it with dusty ornamets that we made or bought at 50% off, balding garland and lights that half didn't work (even though they did last year). In college, my parents resolved not to buy a tree and the celebration was sitting around together in front of the TV because the semester had zapped all my energy. The thing is, those were the best. We didn't do much but we were together. I don't talk much so just the simple act of sitting together was excitement enough for me. But then again, Christmas came a day late this year.

Grace got her marvelous stationery set with a commemorative box

Charity got a stylin' turtleneck sweater

and Joy got a scarf and gloves with stars on it.

For what it's worth, this Christmas was different. We spent a lot of time on the road. I don't think I had time to process the fact that it was Christmas. But it came and went. I'm looking forward to next year. I got big plans of cheesecake and lights.

No comments: