Thursday 21 February 2008

It's not personal...

Before I started pharmacy school, I had this idealistic view of the profession as completely altruistic. It would lean towards social justice: serving the underserved, advancing medicine to a world that needs it.

Slowly now, I've come to realize that pharmacy is a business. I was struck by that very strongly on my first day and today, as I work on a business proposal for my management and administration class, I believe it even more.

I never thought of myself as ever selling myself on the job market or negotiating or networking but that's what I've been doing for the past three years. The science and the therapeutics is the arsenal of knowledge I'm equipped with. Along with that we're taught these other things like business and management so that we can better market ourselves to others who may or may not know what the heck we're all about.

And what's so deeply personal to me as been soldered together with the impersonal in order for the world can understand.

No comments: