Monday 4 September 2006

The Superficial

I finally got off my butt this weekend to do something semi-productive...and superficial.

Needed a change.

Roz: I'm going to dye my hair
Mom: What color?
Roz: Red
Mom: Ok, will it show up?
Roz: I dunno, we'll see.
Dad: I can help you dye your hair. If you use a comb, it'll dye more evenly.

That's right. When you've lived in a household with all women for 20+ years, this is the only way to bond. I could have gone with him to a Laker's Game at the Staples Center (too expensive), or hiking in Yosemite, but nope, my dad offered to help me dye my hair. Men who were born into families of all men have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you have all daughters, this is what could happen to you. Not to say it's a bad thing. (hey, if you can't beat them, join them)

So now my hair is black with a little bit of red. Not much of a change, but it shows up in the sun.

More superficial

I had this dream. One of my friends mentioned that you can get a free makeover at this spa. I forgot the store name. So I walk into a mall that looks a lot like the San Francisco Centre (the one from Powell BART) and ask someone where the store is. (Gosh, the storename is on the tip of my tongue). We're in a group (of boys and girls from SFC all going to get our makeup done. boys and girls, getting makeup done). So basically we're told to go into an elevator to level D. So I walk into this hallway that looks like the stairwell in Mulberry Union kind of dark and grungy waiting for the elevator. Some faceless people come out and they look like they had a little too much smokey eyes. Some of these elevators look like escalators, and they repeat. Some go to different places, some go to level D. So I take the D elevator (one that looks almost exactly like the elevators in the Units at Berkeley). I think I'm by myself at this point.

I turn the corner and find the store. I walk in and it kind of looks like a mix of Crepevine on Irving St. and Cafe Intermezzo on Telegraph Ave. Instead of menus on the walls, they offer massages, spa treatments, salt rubs (for people?), makeovers and other girly stuff people do at day spas. The setting is REALLY nice, lots of wood, soft lighting and there are a lot of people, from UCSF. Weird. So there's this med student who got a salt rub and said it was REALLY GOOD. And the lady behind the counter said they had a 1/2 hour free RIGHT NOW and I could take it. I wonder, but i'm here for the free makeup, but hey, I need some relaxing, might as well go with the salt rub. This is my first salt rub and if they had this in real life i'd totally do it. So first, I had to wash the makeup off my face, then basically oil down with some scented aromatherapy that I can actually still smell. Smells kind of like plumeria and jasmine. And I'm told to lie down on what looks like a hollowed out plane engine with steam coming through vents and a bench to lie down on. I say, I've never done this before. And the attendant says, don't worry, it's great. They put some sort of salt/oil mixture that smells like lavender and I strap myself onto this bench. And away we go.

It feels like I'm on a rollercoaster because the steam cylinder is swinging inside the store, but it's so relaxing. After it's finished, I come out feeling kind of sandy all over but very very relaxed and they soak me with alabaster oil to wash off the salt. Then they cover me with more salt that smells heavenly.

Then I start dreaming of something else. I think it might have been some food.

No comments: