Monday 22 August 2005

So How was your trip?

Something that really struck me was how intentional people were with their faith in a place that was so oppressive. The nationals and long term workers alike were smart about what they said and the setting they said it in, yet bold. They trusted God in everything, even getting out of bed every morning. There was someone whom I befriended named Shauna. She was born and raised where we served and a year younger than I. I should have asked her for her testimony, but she was one of the most on fire, willing and teachable people I have ever met. She had so much life and love, all the kids around her loved her and wanted to play with her from sun up to sun down. They didn't want to leave her side. We were on one of our walks one day and the little girls just pulled her on ahead and decorated her hair with flowers as if she were a blushing bride. She told them that Jesus loved them and took every chance she got to spread that love even to the adults. She would have headaches and other discomforts but her smile was infectious. You can tell that she isn't a slave to anything except righteousness. Every night she would watch sermons, one after another trying to learn as much as she could. She joined in our times of singing and wanted to copy down the words for "joyful joyful we adore thee" and "amazing grace." She served people in every chance she got, even if it wasn't asked for. I'm not sure if we'll be able to see each other again, but it makes me look forward to heaven because then I'll be able to ask for her testimony and hear about all the great things she's done for God's glory.

If you'd like to hear more stories like this I'm inviting people over for sharing in both SoCal and the Bay Area:
SoCal: Monday, September 5 at 8:00 at my parents' house
Bay Area: Sunday, September 11 at 7:30 at my flat in San Francisco

I'll have some good stuff like homemade cookies and maybe cheesecake if you're into food, but this is a time to thank you for partnering with me and to just spend time in prayer for those overseas. Let me know if you wanna come. :)

No comments: