Thursday 15 July 2004

yesterday:  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. ALLISON! 
I took my mom to Marukai (the local 98cent Asian store).  She was very excited.  We spent a whopping $4 on a wash basin, two containers of tofu and a box of trashbags.
She's planning to go back.  While walking out of the store she says:  "I came out plannng not to buy anything, but I ended up sending money." 
 
today:  for background see the santa monica post a couple days back.
I decide to experiment with my sister's statement about dressing up.  So yesterday I go out shopping with a tattered old baggy red t-shirt with a pair of stained gray sweats.  mm.. not to much happened.  no one was rude to me.  or i was oblivious.
today i get all dolled up with a pair of ae lowrise jeans, a better fitting, better looking blue abercrombie polo (which i got for $6, very proud of that btw) and my new cute aldo shoes.  Any change?  yeah...kind of.  I definitely felt more confident.  Maybe it was psychological.  I felt like I was dressed nicely, but at the same time I felt very self conscious.  So i think my posture was worse than yesterday.  A number of employees in stores flashed a smile and asked "how are you doing today?" mm.. mostly men.  i think the reason my posture was better yesterday with the not so presentable clothing was because i had an attitude of "i don't care how people look at me" whereas today I was wondering "what were people thinking when i walked by?"
Yesterday before I went out, even my mom said "Do you want to change out of the sweats at least, to look more presentable?"   I said, "no, i'm ok."
 
So I dunno, just a slight change in wardrobe can amasse to such thoughts, such self consciousness and my posture is worse, that can't be good for the back. 
 
But then again, maybe it takes getting used to, to have this "i don't care about what people think about me" at the same time that i'm fairly presentable to the outside world. 
 
So what are we dealing with?  Societal pressures to look beautiful, self-esteem issues, pride, worrying about what people think. 
 
I think every struggles with at least one of these.  I suppose its up to the individual to find their identity and to find a place where they feel completely at ease with themselves and no matter what they're wearing, they feel like a million bucks. 
some people have self confidence, some people have someone (tangible or intangible) that loves them very much.
maybe some people have both. 

No comments: